For United Methodists social consciousness has always gone hand in hand with faith.
Early Methodists Opposed:
- Liquor Traffic
- Industrial Exploitation
Today United Methodist Seek to Follow the Social Creed and…
- believe in God, Creator of the world; and in Jesus Christ, Redeemer of Creation
- affirm the natural world as God’s handiwork and dedicate ourselves to its preservation, enhancement, and faithful use of human kind
- joyfully receive for ourselves and others the blessings of community, sexuality, marriage, and the family
- commit ourselves to the rights of men, women, children, youth, young adults, the aging, and people with disabilities
- the right and duty of persons to works for glory of God and the good of themselves and others
- dedicate ourselves to peace throughout the world
- believe in the present and final triumph of God’s Word in human affairs, and gladly accept our commission to manifest the life of the gospel in the world.